(This was written in 20 minutes, so please excuse any mistakes)
In Part 2 of #EdJourney, Grant Lichtman has his master list of the “Essential Qualities of a High School Graduate” which is comprised of words that high schoolers came up with. Some of these words seemed pretty similar to me at first glance, so I wanted to go through and give my definitions for each of these words.
- Persistence – you keep going, throughout the rough spots and times when you want to quit
- Confidence – you know you know what you’re doing
- Resilience – you get back up after falling flat on your face
- Patience – taking a deep breath, not loosing your temper, and waiting until everyone understands.
- Openness – listening to and maybe accepting others’ ideas
- Creativity – coming up with new ideas to try
- Adaptability – you’re flexible and go with the flow, even when things change for the negative
- Courage – you know that you don’t know it, but you’re willing to learn it, even if it’s going to be tough
- Perspective – how you see something
- Empathy – understanding how others see something
- Self-control – knowing how to say “no” for your best interest